Monday, August 13, 2007

Potential is in the Eye of the Beholder

Since June 11th, when we returned from our honeymoon, I have been in a serious nesting mode. I have been planning and plotting renovations for the house. I have already rebuilt all the closets for Michael and I, rearranged and updated rooms except for the living room, and acquired some new furniture: Our new bed (wedding gift), patio furniture (wedding gift), new slip covers for the living room furniture (wedding gift), a twin bed for the upstairs bedroom (FREE), and a leather dual recliner loveseat (FREE). But I have been on the hunt for a desk for Michael’s office / Man-Cave and a buffet to replace the Ikea table with a cloth over it to hide the items underneath it since we don’t have enough storage in the house.

This weekend, like so many weekends before, I went to a few yard sales. This weekend, however; I hit the jackpot. Below you will see a buffet that I purchased for $20.00. The owner was even nice enough to deliver it to our house since we had no way of getting it back to the house, which I said thank you with another $5.00.
Michael admitted to me that he was skeptical about the “piece of junk I bought.” While he did yard work, I had the piece completely sanded. He later went to the movies with a few guy friends and when he returned I had my masterpiece finished along with dinner for Michael & I and our 2 friends.

After about 5-6 hours of work (including trips to Home Depot), $20.00 for the piece, $15 for the hardware and $8 for the paint. I think I made a wise investment. The bonus to the story is that we have a beautiful piece of antique furniture with more storage to hold all those wonderful wedding gifts that we don’t want to put in the basement.

4 comments:

Tebbano Family said...

Carin, I love it - it looks great! You've definitely inspired me to check out some garage sales. I would love to have a buffet table for our dining room, too.

Desiree Michelle said...

BEAUTIFUL! you did a fan-tabulous job!!! It looks like a ChrisPowers piece, actually... and that's the best compliment i can ever give regarding refurbished furniture.

Bobbi Brinkman Photography said...

It is gorgeous. So when do we go junking??????? Just don't say Saturday!!!!

Mrs. Wallace said...

DUDE, you are the master! I'm gonna have to take some tips from you once I have my own place :-)