Thursday, June 05, 2008

A year marked with joy and challenges

I can't even believe it's been one year since Michael and I married. I feel so blessed to be on this journey with him and have him as my husband. He makes my life full of joy, laughter, and excitment and challenges me in so many things (which is a good thing since I tend to think I know the best way to do all things ~ at least I did, I am growing). I don't know if those people are that say "My first year of marriage was so wonderful" are sugar-coating things or dillusional - but our first year was not easy. You put any two subborn, broken, set in our way people together and tell them to live with each other, and sparks are bound to fly every now and then.
I believe marriage is truly a wonderful thing. I am blessed to be married to Michael and God has taught me a lot by putting him in my life. I, for the first time, know that you can be loved and the bottom is not destined to fall out, they will not leave, and forgiveness is the most important part of a relationship.
We really wanted to celebrate this momentous occasion. So Michael suprised me with the idea of going to Hermann. We found the most WONDERFUL B&B (not covered in knicknacks and flowers or paisely), Inn at Hermannhof. Since we stayed Sunday through Monday - we got a Great Price. The room was beautiful. We had a tub that would fit 4 people, a shower that makes mine feel week (8 shower heads), and a fridge of unlimited wine, cheese, crackers, and pop.
A King Sized bed....is so wonderful Gas burning fire place (one in the bathroom too)
We arrived Sunday around 1:30pm. We were not able to check in until 4pm, so we were forced to go across the streat to the Hermannhof winery. There we sampled many different wines but settled on "The White Lady" I had prepacked a picnic lunch with cheese, bread, fruit and sausage (oh and starbursts for Michael). It was a beautiful day. We walked up and down the streets looking in mostly at the shops (since most were closed since it was Sunday- small town rules). But we were able to find one restaurant open on Sunday night, Vantage at the Stone Hill winery.
It was so nice just to get away and focus on each other .... here's some pictures from our trip. I would highly recommend the hotel and Hermann overall for a romantic weekend or just a girls weekend (they have spas and wine... what more could a girl want?)
Hermannhof Winery
River (?) infront of Hermannhof Winery...terrace overlooked this (beautiful)
Hermann Hill Inn (view from Stone Hill Winery)
Views of Hermann from Stone Hill Winery
Stone Hill at sunset
Views at Oakglenn Winery
Beautiful views of Missouri Wine Country

3 comments:

Beth Sinak said...

Luke and I are totally going... I just don't know when. That place looks incredible!

Anonymous said...

Your place is just beautiful....I want to go!

Anonymous said...

So glad you guys got to celebrate your anniversary away from the city in beautiful Hermann. Patrick and I did that one year for our anniversary during seminary. We have always tried to get away at least for one night each year to celebrate. I hope you and Michael will be able to do the same. Happy Anniversary!!!