Thursday, June 28, 2007

Honeymoon Period...
I am confronted with what others expect of "the honeymoon stage." The questions I am faced with on a daily basis is, "So, how's married life?" In which I have been answering honestly, "It's harder than I thought it would be."

In which the response comes back to me either two ways:
1. "Yeah ...Our first year was the hardest. It just takes some time." Usually followed up by encouragement and advice.
OR
2. "Really?" Followed by a head tilt and a look of pity.

I am sorry, I don't sugar coat anything. I am having a hard time. Marriage is wonderful and I love sharing my house and life with Michael but it's a HUGE ADJUSTMENT!!!!! I am (like so many other people who dare to be as honest) selfish, stuck in my ways, and a huge control freak. I do not share well. I feel like I am learning how to live with a roommate with an entirely different context than ever before, and I am. I have to be willing to sacrifice and put my needs second. I am having to realize that there is more ways to do things than how I do them. I am learning a lot about myself. And It's hard.

I feel this honesty is judged by the "super-happy to be married Christians" in my circles. And I feel like a horrible wife and newlywed because I not floating around on a cloud just happy and with a stupid grin on my face.

No comments: