Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sanctification is Painful.....

Sanctification is that continuous operation of the Holy Spirit, by which we become more like Christ. We are perfected; but not yet perfect. The idea that God isn't finished w/ me yet.

I am reading a book, "The Contented Soul" by Lisa Graham McMinn, in my small group which has been very hard to read. It's like putting a large spoonful of peanut butter in your mouth - it takes a while to work on but at the end your craving relief (like from a large glass of milk). This week was especially hard for me.... and I didn't like it ... not one bit.

The chapter talked about The Practice of Fortitude. In the chapter it discusses our suffering and struggles in life are for our benefit and gives examples from her experience of people who have set the example James 1:4 talks about. She writes of her friend Lyle, who clung to the hope, striving towards joy and contentment in spite of his circumstances (Alzheimers). He wrote these words:

"Paul (in Philippians 4:4-9) tells us to practice certain things if we want to have the peace of God. We are to rejoice in the Lord always even if life is tough and I might be in jail unjustly. We are told to let our forbearing spirit be known to all, an not to be anxious about anything, because a just God is near and watching. We are instructed to be thankful lifting our prayers to God, and to replace wrong thinking and erroneous blame with meditation about things that are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, of good repute, and worthy of praise. God says if I practice these things both the "God of peace" and the "peace of God" will be with me. And as I began practicing God brought ever-increasing contentment in the midst of my circumstances. I am learning to "count it all joy when I encounter various trials knowing that the testing of my faith produces endurance and maturity" James 1). I choose to see value in suffering because I know that my "suffering produces perserverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint" (Romans 5:3-5). These are not just verses from a book; they are promises being proved true as I exercise them. So i choose contentment. I choose to learn to reject anger, and accept the peace of God."

So I will learn from Lyle and lean on the Holy spirit that in my present
trials I one day can say with all confidence that I have joy and it will not
only be words from my mouth but be seen living in my actions and how I give hope
to others. I want to thank all of you for your prayers - I am starting to learn
(the hard way of course) that I can't do this on my own and my burdens do not
have the weightiness for others in holding them down in despair but sharing them
w/ others allows them to share God's grace, mercy and love w/ me and allows them
to use their God-given gifts for the glory of God.

Please be patient with me ..... God is not finish with me Yet......

No comments: