Thursday, July 26, 2007

Friendship Bread Gone Amuck...

We have been having friendship bread floating from person to person. For those of you who are not familar with this process (aka burden): You have a starter bag of ingredients over ten days and many steps you get to the point in the process where you divide the batter into 4 different bags, keeping one of these bags and completing the process and making the bread flavor of choice.

I was talking to my best friend, Staci (matron of honor) when making the final steps of my bread last night. NOT A GOOD IDEA! I accidentally skipped a step and could not recover without finishing all the starters. What does this mean, you might ask? It means I made enough batter to make 8 loaves of bread. I didn't know if it could be done or how it would all work out and I kind of guessed at how to do it, since others said it was best to make all of the bread starters seperate.

I made 4 loaves of Banana Cream bread and made the batter for 4 loaves of Lemon Poppy Seed bread, which I am making tonight. My kitchen was trashed, and at 11:20pm I was covered in flower, sugar, etc. from head to toe. I finally finshed last night at 12am.

Moral of the story: When baking - don't be on the phone with your best friend or you have the potential for disaster.... or like me, stay up to late baking and overwhelming your house of 2 people with 8 loaves of bread.

No comments: